Saturday, November 26, 2005

This American Life Marathon

This is final production week in preparation for Monday's review. While tediously retracing working drawings onto vellum I keep my mind occupied with old This American Life episodes that I haven't heard before. Highlights from yesterday's listening (February to June of 2004):

  • Life in the Fast Lane. (22 minutes in) Solemn, deep-voiced David Rackoff decides not to eat for 20 days to gain spiritual insight. He's Fraiser on qualudes, wit and literary allusions intact. My (paraphrased) favorite quote, "This is the most selfish thing I've ever done and I am a first-person journalist."

  • What Really Happens in Marriage. (6 minutes in) John Gottman is a scientist who studies marital interactions using videos and electrodes. After decades of experience he and his team can predict with surprising accuracy whether a couple will stay together or divorce. Turns out anger and disagreements are healthy, what matters is how the couple treats each other during heated discussion.

  • My Experimental Phase. This entire show is excellent. Nancy Updike talks about how she was the ultimate lesbian except that she couldn't bring herself to date women. Then there's the story of Chaim the Hasidic Glam Rocker (no joke). And finally Sascha Rothchild shares her transformation into a 13-year-old party girl as documented in her diary at the time.
  • 4 Comments:

    Blogger Pylaydia said...

    So just when do you start the trip home? And will it be a straight shot or will you enjoy yourself for a couple of days? Later Lady...Liquid diamonds and end of term luck ;>

    9:24 AM  
    Blogger John said...

    Why is your profile picture now a little blip of fire? I can't wait for you to come home for a few =) Mebbe there'll be snow here! Woo! Woo! Oh, and the content of your blog was cool, too ;)

    7:08 PM  
    Blogger Wendy said...

    I didn't realize people paid attention to my icon. My previous icon was characterized like so: "It looks vaguely like a naked, sideways portrait, but is a bit
    confusing..." by someone asking what it was (and who shall remain anonymous ;D). It was a closeup of my iris before. I like this picture of a burning model. Even if you can't see that's what it is, you can at least see that it's fire.

    I leave Sunday for the U.S. I'll have one day in Raleigh, a week in Oregon, two weeks in Raleigh, a week in Virginia, a week in Raleigh, and a week in Missouri before school starts. Woohoo! Let the whirlwind begin!

    What are Liquid diamonds? I tried a Google search a couple of days ago and it came up with Tori Amos lyrics. Another search today repeatedly crashed Google, or at least that tab of my browser, so I remain in the dark.

    7:58 AM  
    Blogger Pylaydia said...

    Liquid diamonds....the saying originated from the said Tori Amos song ie..."there is a sea secret in me, it's plain to see it is rising...."
    There is a post about it on my blog...about how I keep secrets and why. It just kinda grew from there.

    12:23 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home