Friday, August 13, 2004

Is my axis of evil gone?

The place to be during today's flash flood warning time period (6:30 to 8:45pm) was on the covered patio at Cup A Joe, Mission Valley. Despite my truly awful Thai iced tea (Cafe Cyclo has a decent one, but Raleigh is clueless about all things Thai), and the conversation blocking rain-on-metal-roof noise, it was possible to have an engaging conversation with an outgoing stranger while watching the storm.

The weather is so exciting, here. It's loud and inconvenient instead of merely damp. In fact, we don't have weather in Oregon most of the time; We have damp.

Anyway, the conversation was interesting. He guessed that I'm vegetarian - is it that obvious? - shared that he has faith, and then asked me what I believe. I was taken aback, since a) my beliefs are too complicated to spell out in one paragraph let alone to someone I just met and b) no one asks this outside of church. Except it wasn't that kind of situation. He was curious what I believed. So after I said, "That's a rather personal question, isn't it?" I told him that I have faith, although different than most peoples', and I choose to show it through action rather than vocalizing it.

Sometime later we got on the subject of schizophrenia. He could see that I was okay with talking about mental illness so he was comfortable telling me that he's a schizophenic. This surprised him because it isn't something you tell a lot of people even if you're on your meds and doing well, like he is. So I told him that D. has it. We talked about how terrifying the disease is for everyone involved. He said to be careful not to get too stressed out, or take drugs, and to stay healthy to avoid triggering it. (I could develop it into my early 40's but I doubt that I'm high risk.)

Of course, this makes me wonder if I'm being ridiculous about the D. situation. Is it time for me to make peace with the Boogey Man? He is going to die soon, right? How much of his obnoxiousness is the illness and how much is just him? He's a manipulative bastard, but should I continue to cut him out of my life completely? That's not very nice, is it?

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

In regards to D. : Yes! How long has it been since you set eyes on him? How long has it been since you last heard him say something? He's not D. anymore, it's become a personal demon of yours, compiled of everything you hate and despise. I'm not making excuses for anything he did (even though I do have a tendency to stick up for everyone, no matter how terrible they are), but it's gone WAY to far.

You need to get some closure Wendy. If D. dies before you have a chance to wrap things up, it's gonna haunt you... and you know it.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Yeah. *sigh*

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home