Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Imagine a constipation free world

Emotional constipation is a concept I've been thinking about a lot lately. Doing a Google search for the term brings up a lot of blogs. Here's an excerpt from one of them:

"I don't feel like talking about them. Because when I do talk about them, I fall into full-blown meltdown, becoming a giant slobbering boogery mess who no longer possesses the ability to rub two thoughts together to make a comprehensive sentence.

The only upside to that situation is that it only lasts a short while, and it causes a sort of cleansing, so that I'm fine for a few days. But then it all starts building up again. Your basic emotional constipation."

Yeah, that's pretty basic. The constipation stems from avoidance; Pain, anger, and fear are useful tools provided to us so that we can react to given situations. When we consistently avoid feeling these emotions, whether through self-preservation or discomfort, we lose touch with a vital part of our psyche. We cease to grow, but are instead mired in whatever state that part of us is in. It's like standing water with nowhere to drain: Eventually, it's fetid.

I don't say this to sound like a self-help wanker. Someone said to me once that allowing myself to feel my emotions is a luxury that I have. At the time I said, no that it's a gift I give to myself, but considering my background, yes, it is a luxury to be safe enough to let myself feel something. So when someone has killed your dog and is chasing you through dark alleys, don't worry about this touchy-feely woo-woo crap. But if it's you and your bedroom and a notebook, there is zero shame in becoming "a giant slobbering boogery mess". It could even be that you discover, as I did, that your world didn't fall apart because you had a breakdown. In fact, you feel better, stronger, and lighter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home