Friday, February 03, 2006

Invisible, egomaniacal architects

There is a divide between how architects think about buildings and how occupants think about buildings. So what is the public's opinion, since we are so isolated from the real world, of architects and the architectural profession? They can't possibly think about us as much as we do. My guess is that people don't think about architects at all. Even so, what are common ideas about and stereotypes of architects? Is Howard Roark lurking out there, nameless?

Or maybe he isn'’t so nameless. One of last summer's Architectural Records described the Pritzker Prize winner for 2005 as "Architecture'’s Bad Boy,"” a man who refused to compromise his artistic vision, as if this were a good thing. Howard Roark is alive and well and working in LA. The problem with dear old Howard is that he will never have to live or work in one of his "“artistic visions" while potentially thousands of others will. What is the value of his vision once he's done with it? And why are we still promoting this attitude amongst architects? Hasn'’t it become apparent that it's destructive to the profession? That it loses us more commissions than it gains?

Where is architecture discussed? In K-12 education, medicine is discussed in health class, law in US History, and engineering in a math or physics class. I don'’t remember a single conversation about buildings in primary school. The only people who talk about architecture are architects and critics. And architects aren't seeking general public input on their process or ideas.

4 Comments:

Blogger Filch said...

It seems to me there is always a divide between how creators think about what they create, and how consumers think about what is created. (I work in the film industry, where "artistic vision" is similarly used as a catchall excuse for a lot of stupid decisions and waste.) I think a lot of this is due to the sheer difficulty of creation, and the fact that any unifying principal, however farfetched, can be used as a sort of guide-line to help one navigate the unknown. John Ciardi once described a poem as "a machine for making choices," which I think is an apt way of thinking about ... well, lots of things.

That said - and speaking as a layman - I can only agree with you about architects who refuse to compromise their vision to the extent of, for instance, constructing their buildings from sensible materials (the Getty Museum in Los Angeles), providing their buildings with adequate drainage (the Getty, again), or even making their buildings useful for their intended purposes (did I mention I don't like the Getty?).

So I'm curious: how would you like to see architecture incorporated into the K-12 curriculum, if you were in charge? (This isn't just an academic question, as I have two young children and so far we're doing kind of a school / homeschool hybrid with them.)

11:11 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Your question about K-12 education is such a good one (and I admittedly made a comment that I failed to think through) that I want to do it justice instead of spouting a quick response. I'll try to post a preliminary answer in the next week or so.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Filch said...

Just for that, you're going on my blogroll.

Oh, and I have a question: I've been wondering out loud on my blog about libraries and idiosyncratic filing systems, and I assume you wouldn't mind if I linked to your Library Thing "tag cloud" by way of illustrating a concept, but if for some reason you'd rather I didn't, just let me know and I'll take the link down.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Um, sure, that would be fine. Be aware that Tim has been working on the tagging recently, so it may not be completely accurate at the moment.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home