Sunday, August 07, 2005

Lazy Sunday

My complete exhaustion evaporated overnight. Youth is nice.

But I took it easier today. The Victoria and Albert Museum and the Natural History Museum were the only stops on my list.

The V&A is mostly skylit with the feeling of an old train station instead of a museum. They have a minor exhibit on this year's British architecture's 40 Under 40. Of them all, Tonkin Liu, Burd Haward Architects, Brisac Gonzalez, Paul Archer Design, pH4, and Piercy Conner are worth a second look for one reason or another. The architecture gallery had a lot of large models (a 6-foot-tall Hong Kong Shanghai Bank Building model! 1:100 scale, apparently.) and drawers of original drawings.

The Natural History Museum had specimens in jars, which I was excited about. My one complaint is that of the 22 million species they have in jars, they only have 10 or so tiny isles of jars on display. They give tours of the real collection, kept at 13 degrees Celcius (55 Farenheit), but I wasn't there in time for one. The museum is, again, a gorgeous building, but most of the displays are too infotainy to be of much interest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home