Friday, August 05, 2005

Love, true love

The blogging may be a bit out of order for the next couple of days. I forgot to bring an American three prong to two prong adapter with me so I can't charge my laptop until it arrives (Thanks to the best roommate ever!). But soon I'll be able to post pictures, etc.

For now, though, I want to say that I am completely in love with London. After going to my hotel (a dorm, in Lambeth Road) I stopped at Waterloo Station to try to buy a watch (still looking) and whoa, there's the London Eye, so that's literally the first thing I did. It was a beautiful day, too, so it was a fabulous view. I spent most of the day walking all over the city and riding the tube. And for lunch I had "Pud Thai." How happy was I?

I slept briefly in the afternoon because it's difficult to truly enjoy my surroundings through the distance of exhaustion.

In the evening I walked through the Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square area. Piccadilly Circus is what Times Square should be like. Packed, pleasant, relaxed. Everywhere I went people were sitting and talking, just hanging out, eating, happy to be alive.

Trafalgar Square is having a festival at the moment with all sorts of free performances. Last night, an aerialist, tethered by a hip harness to a helium balloon controlled by two men with ground cables, flipped, twisted, floated up and down, and interacted with the crowd. It was like watching the most beautiful Macy's balloon ever. From where I was standing, she was framed by the National Gallery and the spire of St. Martin-in-the-Fields against dark, puffy clouds.

And the scooters! More scooters go through an intersection at one time here than I'll see in an entire day in Raleigh. This is heaven!

So now the question is: When can I move? Better yet, when can I start making pounds so that everything isn't twice as expensive?

Today I may go to the British Museum, the Design Museum, Sir John Soane's house...We'll see. Eventually, I will go to the London Transport Museum and if you watch here long enough, you might see me walk by. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home