Friday, October 07, 2005

Two posts in one day? What is the world coming to?

I saw this article about stereotypes and had to quote from it:

"Czechs thought of their nationality as antagonistic and disagreeable, when the research found them to be among the friendliest of all cultures."

Olya (aka Brunhilda) is an unfortunate exception.

The opera Monday night was wonderful. I had seen La Traviata and one other one that I've forgotten, but this was the first time that I truly enjoyed an opera. Now I've got to add Smetana to my music collection. I'll post pictures of the main hall of the National Theatre at some point.

Last weekend, I visited the former Trades Fair Palace, which is now a modern art museum. It was certainly interesting to see Czech art from throughout the 20th century in response to the various cultural and political upheavals. The common theme was a heavy sadness, often counterpointed by an almost hysterical lightheartedness.

I discovered a cheap and well designed pub near my dorm, called Redneck. The only clue that it exists is a Staropramen sign above a door that leads into a basement. I eat all of my meals alone and, I know this is selfish, I don't want my classmates to find out about it. They can continue eating at Don Pepe and McDonald's and Victor Prodleff which exist for the fast food inclined. The floors are slate, the walls are exposed brick and white stucco, the barrel vault ceilings are dark concrete supported by exposed black steel, the light fixtures are all stainless-steel grates, and the furniture, built-in benches supported by black steel tubes and tables, are deep red, as are the door frames. There is a single pane of textured, frosted glass in the doors.

For 170 crowns ($6.94), including tip, I have two large glasses of wine and a full entree. They also have a giant plasma-screen TV connected to a videogame console of some type, that a couple of guys were playing a car-racing game on the first time I went in. When the TV isn't on, the music selection is always random and entertaining. I should go there every night, but for both health and monetary reasons, I'm off to The Country Life, a vegan buffet that's REALLY good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home