Saturday, September 03, 2005

Not very exciting.

So now I am intimately familiar with my hotel room. I had a fever/head cold yesterday and unfortunately the fastest remedy I know of is to force myself to stay in bed and drink fluids. A sickness lasts one day instead of a week this way, but it means one massive day of feeling crappy and bored.

When I could concentrate, I read The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. This is one of those books I should have read in high school and didn't get to. I had no idea that it's mostly an architectural critique. There are about six pages where he convicingly spells out architecture's decline as caused by the rise of the printing press. He wrote this 175 years ago and it seems right.

I still felt weak today, so I didn't do much. I found a four-story mall one metro station away up Vinohradska. It could be any mall anywhere, except that the view from the juice stand is an ancient cemetary. And in the pet store they have a pair of South American primates for sale (that picture isn't mine, but it's similar to what they looked like). There, I finally got my shoes resoled. When traveling, I had room for only two pairs of shoes one of which had to be shower shoes. (This was the best decision I made, bar none. To think of the horrors I would have suffered through otherwise... *shiver*) The miles and miles walked in my Eccos resulted in large cracks and exposed undersole, so stepping on even slightly damp pavement meant wet socks for several hours. Not pleasant.

It's a little scary when I start going on about minutia like this. "And then at 9:33pm I went into the dining room to watch satelite tv, but it was all in German." Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home