Monday, August 29, 2005

Off to Prague.

It's been fun living here these last couple of weeks, but I leave early tomorrow morning for Prague via Berlin. Thanks to the efficiency of German trains, it'll only take 11 hours.

Tonight I will eat my last patats (double-fried french fries smothered in mayonnaise, *happy sigh* enough to make some former boyfriends cringe. Mmmmm...) and watch my last Dutch TV (what they show at midnight makes the Red Light District look downright tame). G. has BBC One and Three and about 20 Dutch channels with only 50% English programming (Dutch subtitles). For a small country these guys talk a lot.

I heard on Saturday that my paternal grandfather is not expected to live long. They said that the entire family is with him, as it should be. The happiest moments with Grandpa were when I was really small. He would let you climb up into his lap and put your hands onto his rough face to feel the stubble. Then he would hold you tight and rub his jaw anywhere there was exposed soft skin while you squealed laughing. He laughed too, a low rumbling, darkened by a half century of smoke. I didn't get to hear it enough.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy, I have checked your blog often and dreamily followed the good times and winced over some of the tight spots. Your postcard was wonderful to get, so very newsy. Tamara commented that Aki had taken her to the same place. She had reluctantly started climbing until she began to see the breathtaking sites.

I am so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I was by his house recently and it looked very quiet. I thought they were out of town. I am so glad that you reached into your memory bank and pulled up happy memories about your time together. It is so sad that he couldn't have kept building those happy moments during the rest of your life.

Say, are you going to come to our place when you get back to the states, or did the final sublet agreement ease the housing situation? We would love to have you if it works out for December in Oregon.

Take care. Love Ardis

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home